What is Decentralization?
The process in which the power or authority present in the hands of the State and Central Government is taken back and is allocated to the local government it is called decentralization.
In this mechanism, the authoritative nature of people with power is eradicated and powers are handed over to the suitable person who can make good use of those powers for human welfare and in turn, will pave way for the development of their nation.
In simple words, according to Business Dictionary, Decentralization means Transfer of decision making power and assignment of accountability and responsibility for results. It is accompanied by a delegation of commensurate authority to individuals or units at all levels of an organization even those far removed from headquarters or other centres of power.
Why We need decentralization?
People have a better knowledge of problems in their localities.
They also have better ideas on where to spend money and how to manage things more efficiently.
At the local level, it is possible for people to directly participate in decision making.
The local government can easily understand the needs and demands of its people.
It helps women to participate in the decision-making process because 33% of seats are reserved for women in local government.
It takes off burden from central and state government.
It strengthens democracy.
What are the Objectives of Decentralisation
- The main purpose of democratic decentralization, however, is to bring fundamental changes in the traditional outlook about the power structure of the government.
- The aim of such decentralization is to expand the field of authority and specialization and to enable the people to make more and more participation in politics and administrative affairs.
- Democratic decentralization means of power. The source from which this power is decentralized is based on the democratic structure and hence, such decentralization is called the democratic decentralization.
- Moreover, the authority on which the power is to be delegated is also organized democratically.
- Through this democratic decentralization, a relation of closeness and co-operation is created between the government administrative system and the non-governmental leadership and controlled.